Help Me Grow Washington
Help Me Grow Washington is a free program that connects families to the resources needed to give ALL kids the best start and to make sure they are growing and developing on track.
Two Ways to Get Started Today!
Call our friendly and knowledgeable staff at the Family Health Hotline 1-800-322-2588 to learn about developmental screening for your child and the Ages and Stages Questionnaire, or you can get started right now . It's easy and there is no cost involved!
What does Help Me Grow Washington offer families?
- Free developmental screening for all kids under 5
(no waiting lists or income requirements)
- Activities and games that support healthy growth and learning
- Community resources like parenting classes, medical clinics, and food banks
- Referrals for further evaluation and early intervention services
How Can Developmental Screening Help My Child?
Developmental screening is important for ALL kids! 1 in 6 kids has a developmental delay, but only 30% of those kids are detected through parent observations and regular checkups. Often, the signs are hard to see, even for a professional.
Screening all kids regularly is the best way to catch delays early, when intervention is most effective. Even for families with kids developing on track, screening is a fast, flexible and fun way to learn about what’s coming next and what you can do to encourage healthy growth!
The Ages and Stages Questionnaire
To screen kids Help Me Grow Washington uses a survey tool called the Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ). Developmental screening cannot give you a diagnosis; however it can show you if your child is developing more slowly than kids in the same age group.
The ASQ covers 5 areas of development:
- Communication – how kids use language
- Gross Motor – how kids move their bodies
- Fine Motor – how kids use their hands
- Problem Solving – how kids interact with their world
- Personal-Social – how kids calm themselves down