ORCA LIFT is a reduced transit fare program so you can get to where you need to go for less.
If you qualify, you can register a personal card that has the features every ORCA card has at almost half the cost to you. In order to get the discounted fare rate, you will need to either load an E-purse value on your card to pay for trips one at a time, or load a discounted monthly pass that provides unlimited trips per month. To be eligible for an ORCA LIFT card, you must be between 19-64 years of age.
With an ORCA LIFT card, you can save up to 50 percent or more on fare while riding certain transit agencies:
|Standard Adult Fare||ORCA LIFT fare|
|King County Metro Buses||$2.75||$1.50|
|King County Water Taxi||$5.75 West Seattle
$6.75 Vashon Island
|$3.75 West Seattle
$4.50 Vashon Island
|Community Transit Buses||$2.50 Local
|Everett Transit Buses||$2.00||$1.50|
|Kitsap Transit Buses||$2.00||$1.00|
|Seattle Center Monorail||$3.00||$1.50|
|Sound Transit Link Light Rail||$2.25 - $3.25||$1.50|
|Sound Transit Regional Express Buses||$3.25||$1.50|
|Sounder Trains||$3.25 - $5.75||$1.50|
Get the ORCA LIFT card
See if you qualify
Eligibility is based on household income. Use the table below to see if you meet the income guidelines based on your household size.
|Household Size||Maximum Monthly Income to Qualify*|
*As of April 1st, 2020. Subject to change.
How to Enroll
You can call the Help Me Grow Washington Hotline at 1-800-322-2588 to see if you qualify for the ORCA LIFT program. We can help screen you to determine your eligibility for the program. If eligible, we will then assist you with the enrollment over the phone and mail you a registered ORCA LIFT card to your preferred mailing address.
You can also visit your closest enrollment location to enroll in ORCA LIFT in person. You will receive your ORCA LIFT card immediately after you register.
What to Bring If Enrolling In-Person
- Identification– Driver’s license (any state or county, photo ID from any state, county, or country, Armed services ID with photo, ID from any foreign consulate, Passport from any country, school photo ID, Tribal ID, US certificate of citizenship, naturalization (signature, photo) any other form of government issued ID issued by a government agency of any country. Expired Photo IDs are accepted.
- If you do not have a government-issued photo ID, call Metro Customer Service or check King County Metro’s website for a list of acceptable documents.
- Income verification– see below for ways to verify your income.
Verifying your Income
If you are enrolled in one of the following programs, you qualify for an ORCA LIFT Card:
- Washington Apple Health/Medicaid: Bring your ProviderOne medical services card.
- Basic Food (Food Stamps): Bring your EBT (electronic benefits transfer) card.
- Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition Program (WIC): Bring your acceptance letter.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF): Bring your TANF acceptance letter.
If you are in another defined benefit program:
- Employment Security paystub or letter for applicants receiving unemployment benefits.
- Award letters for SSI, Social Security or Railroad Retirement recipients.
- L & I statement for workers’ compensation recipients.
If you are employed:
- Employed (with a paycheck): Paystubs for the last 30 days.
- Employed (paid in cash): Letter from employer signed and dated with gross income for the client from the last 30 days; or a bank statement from you if you deposit your cash in their account.
- Self-employed: Copy of your most recent tax return. Income based on modified adjusted gross income on most recent tax return. Form 1040 line 37; Form 1040 A, line 21, Form 1040 EZ, line 4; or completion of the self-employment worksheet.
If you have no income
Employment Security verification form with ID can verify your income and your eligibility. Mention age and what programs others qualify for.
Renewals and/or Replacing lost or stolen cards
ORCA LIFT cardholders will need to renew their ORCA LIFT card every 2 years. Expiration dates are located on the back ORCA LIFT cards. To renew ORCA LIFT cards or obtain a replacement ORCA LIFT card, you can call the Help Me Grow Washington Hotline at 1-800-322-2588 for assistance.
Other Transportation Programs
If you are six through 18 years of age, you may eligible for an ORCA Youth Card. LIFT cardholders can obtain ORCA Youth cards for children 6-18 years of age free of charge. If you are 65 years of age and older and/or have a disability you may be eligible for a Regional Reduced Fare Permit (RRFP). If interested in any of these two programs, you can contact King County Metro Customer Service line at 206-553-300 to learn how to enroll. You can also apply for these transportation programs online by visiting King County Metro’s secure Reduced Fare Portal.